Initial Physician License Application
How do I apply for an Initial Wyoming Medical License?
To Apply for an Initial Wyoming Medical License:
The Board of Medicine thanks you for your interest in applying for a medical license in Wyoming. Our application process utilizes two separate applications hosted by the Federation of State Medical Boards (FSMB), the Uniform Application (UA) and the Federation Credentials Verification Service (FCVS).
The UA and the FCVS are both required to obtain licensure in the state of Wyoming. The UA allows you to apply to our state electronically and the FCVS provides the Board with direct-source verification of your core credentials (medical school, post-graduate training and exam scores) electronically. To learn more about the UA and the FCVS, please visit the FSMB’s website by clicking HERE.
In addition to the UA and FCVS, you will need to submit all other documentation as outlined in the application instructions. You can access the instructions when you begin the UA or you can find it in the explanation of the application process in the section below.
What are the Steps of the Application Process?
1) Begin your FCVS profile as soon as possible if you do not already have one. If you do, request that it be sent to the Wyoming Board of Medicine. Please note that once you begin the FCVS for the first time, that does not mean it is complete and has been sent to us. You will need to monitor the progress and timeline of your profile with the FCVS directly. The FSMB will not send the FCVS profile to the Wyoming Board of Medicine until it is considered complete.
2) Begin your Uniform Application. Complete it in its entirety, and submit it to the Wyoming Board of Medicine. You must include your Social Security Number on the UA prior to submitting it.
3) Print, review and mail the Wyoming Board of Medicine Instructions and Addendums. These were provided to you by the UA at the time of application. If you need another copy of the instructions and addendums, please view and print them HERE.
4) Pay your $400.00 application fee*. Within 12-24 hours after completion of the UA, an automated e-mail from the Wyoming Board of Medicine will be sent to the e-mail you provided on the UA, which contains the payment link to pay the fee. If you do not receive the e-mail, you may follow the link below to pay the fee:
5) After you have paid the application fee, please use the Pending Application Status tool (located on this page). This tool will allow you to monitor which items, if any, are outstanding on your application. It will first be updated 24-48 hours after you submit payment and continue to be updated every 24-48 hours until your application is considered complete. This site will not be updated until payment has been received. As a reminder, if you have never used the Uniform Application, you will be charged a fee by the FCVS, this fee is separate from the application fee you will pay to the Wyoming Board of Medicine.
* PLEASE NOTE:
You will need your Submit ID to be able to log-in. You can locate this ID from the submission confirmation e-mail from the UA or by calling the Board office.
You will not be able to log-in until your UA has been received by our database, usually 12-24 hours after you have completed and submitted it.
How can I check the Status/Progress of my Pending Application?
You can check the status of your application using the Pending Application Status tool here:
3-5 business days after your application has been successfully submitted and paid for, you may view the updated status of your application
To check your application status, click HERE
ATTENTION REACTIVATION APPLICANTS: Please contact the Board office directly for an update of your pending application
When will I Receive a License?
IMPORTANT NOTE: The Wyoming Board of Medicine does not issue "locum tenens" or other short-term licenses. Any temporary license issued by the Board is with the expectation that the applicant will complete the full licensure process including, if necessary, a licensure interview with the Board. Failure to complete the licensing process after a temporary license has been issued may result in denial of the application for licensure, which is reportable to the NPDB.
Upon receipt of the application form, fee, affidavit and proof of citizenship, and the Board's receipt of required national data base reports, a temporary license may be granted by the Board staff pending review of the application by the Board if the applicant meets ALL of the following criteria:
The applicant has been continually licensed in good standing with an ACTIVE license for the preceding three (3) years in one or more states and/or the District of Columbia (training licenses are not considered active); and, the applicant has none of the following:
Professional liability insurance settlements or payments in excess of $50,000 individually or $100,000 in the aggregate;
Medical condition(s) which could affect the physician's ability to practice safely;
Licensing or regulatory board complaint(s), investigation(s), or action(s) (including withdrawal of a licensure application);
Adverse action taken by a health care entity;
Investigation(s) or action(s) taken by a federal agency, the United States military, medical society or association; or,
Suspension or expulsion from, or disciplinary action in, any academic program, including medical school, residency program or fellowship program.